5.31.2008

The North Coast

Well, I´m back in Trujillo (your standard noisy, honky, dirty city) after two days in Huanchaco.

Huanchaco is a small fishing village on the coast, where the fisherman use reedboats to do their fishing. It´s a great town.

I surfed on Thursday, trying unsuccessfully to catch a wave. The waves were small, and I was content just to float around, smiling at the sunshine and enjoying the water.
After that I had my first taste of Ceviche while watching an incredible sunset unfold before me - I cannot tell you how delicious it was! It is raw fish, flavored with lime. Amazing.

Earlier that day I met a guy Jorge, or Omar, or... well, I´m not sure. He says Jorge but then he said Omar and then I asked someone where he was today and they said they´ve never heard of Jorge or Omar. It was a bit confusing.
But Jorge was a character. He said he´s lived in the town his whole life. Surfing since a little boy. He rents boards and gives surf lessons. We were supposed to head up to Chicama today, where they have the longest ´left´ in the world, but he was nowhere to be found this morning.

So, I´m back in Trujillo. Contemplating either waiting for the night bus to Mancora, which is supposed to be a warm surfing town in the far north of Peru, near Equador (much closer to the equator so it´s warmer and there is no morning fog or clouds or whatever they have in the south - probably smog) or, trying to figure out how to get to Chicama. It involves more than one bus, and a colectivo - which is basically just a neighborhood minivan that cruises around town while they try to set the Guinness Book of World Records for most people in a 30 cubic foot vehicle.

Only 5 more days until I head back to the States. Crazy. As the old saying goes - time flies when you´re having fun!

No comments: