8.16.2007

Wandering around Wisconsin

On the way out of Hurley, I met some kick-ass people at the Hurley Coffee Company. Deb teaches a class in Native American studies, and a few Education courses. We had a great conversation, talking about travel and adventure, and the myriad injustices inflicted upon the Native American people. She has some adventurous offspring, scattered amongst America's parks and areas of beauty. In fact, it was her son's birthday and his birthday celebration involved riding to the top of a mountain in Colorado. I like his style.
Up on the mountain.
Then we got out the maps and she recommended roads. This is always helpful.
Then Kirsten joined in, she is going to teach a Nursing course at the school. And is taking guitar lessons, which makes her instantly cool.
And then Paul arrived, Paul is an amazing artist who had many paintings hanging on the coffee shop walls. He teaches an Art course at the college. I hung out there for hours, enjoying people who know how to enjoy life. Paul was trying to convince Kirsten to model for him, that was an enjoyable exchange. Paul's motto is 'breathe, and paint' - I love it. He said you can substitute things for paint, such as strum the guitar, or pedal the bike. He enjoys Bob Dylan as well, said that his music is great for painting.
Anyway, hello to you guys and thanks for a magnificent morning.

I made it to Woodruff, actually the town just past Woodruff - Minocqua. There I found a very nice park (that had showers! --that is always a pleasant surprise) where I set up shop, away from the road. It was a very nice park, nice facilities, and a quaint town, but nonetheless I locked the bike to a wooden post, just in case, and went next door for dinner.
Upon returning, about an hour later, I noticed that things seemed different. Disheveled. Then I noticed that the loaf of bread that I had bungeed to the back was gone. And the unopened bottle of Gatorade was now opened and half gone, with the top missing.
It was looking like a good old fashioned robbery! My mind started racing - what all did I have? Wallet, camera, phone - those were all with me. On my person as they say. I've learned to keep valuables with me. Away from robbers and most importantly - water.
All that was in the panniers were bike things, camping things, and clothes. I went through the panniers, noticing that my box of Pop Tarts was gone. Other than that, everything seemed accounted for.
I was confused, relieved I suppose. I should've been angrier about a vagrant rummaging through my things, but I couldn't help thinking what a nice burgler he'd been. He left me half my Gatorade - in case I got thirsty??? Why didn't he take the rest, wouldn't he need something to wash the bread and Pop Tarts down? I didn't understand that one.
He didn't take anything except food and liquid, which leads me to believe that he was hungry and thirsty. So many people have fed my hunger and quenched my thirst along the way, that maybe it was my turn? I suppose he should've asked first, or I should've offered. That's how it normally works. I know I should've been more upset about it, but honestly I wasn't.

The next morning I left my phone behind, charging in one of the park's outlets. I went back to retrieve it, and it wasn't there. I went down to the lifeguard station - the park was on a lake and they have a beach and swimming area. Hence the lifeguards. Luckily they had found it, or their boss had found it - and jumped into detective mode!
Finding the 'Dad' entry and calling my dad. I'm sure my dad was a bit flummoxed by the random call. I felt like this may have been a little premature - at least give it a few hours to see if someone comes back for it? Oh well, I can't be upset at someone who's only trying to help.

So we talked, the standard 'wait a minute, MAINE? On a bike? Are you nuts?'
Then I ended up hanging with the lifeguards for awhile.
Amy, Sarah, and I just realized I didn't learn the third one's name. But we sat around in the grass talking, they were doing some serious goofing off on the job, it was great. I guess their boss drives by occasionally, and was probably aghast to find the three of them laying in the grass, shooting the breeze. Ha. The boss drives a red truck, and at one point they spotted the truck and sprung into action! Good clean fun.

Eventually I left, heading for the next town. I stopped at a gas station for lunch - nothing like having lunch at the gas station! I tracked down a turkey sandwich and a bowl of chili. I had just paid for the chili and was rushing to get out of the way so the person behind me could pay. I had a wallet and change and a Pepsi in one hand, and a turkey sandwich in the other. I went to pick up the styrofoam bowl of chili, and within 1.1milliseconds wouldn't you know the styrofoam breaks and the chili dumps! Into a box of Mounds candybars. Rrrrrright. Luckily it was hearty chili so the leak was limited to just a few bars. I glopped all the chili I could back into the bowl then started cleaning up. Polishing off the Mounds bars. 'Don't worry it happens all the time. I've had people spill 12 packs of soda on the floor, barf all over the bathroom, this is nothing.'
She was kind.
Then - I was eating my chili and sandwich outside, when a guy getting into his truck (with 3 freshly purchased packs of cigarettes) asks where i'm headed.
Maine, I say.
God Bless You, he says.
Oh, well thanks! He must've thought I sneezed, maybe.
So we talk, the usual, what route are you taking, then he asks --
'You got a gun?'
He was serious.
'No, I don't', I say -- trying to hide my incredulity.
'You should', he says. 'Lot of crazies out there.'
Rrrrright. I have Peanut Butter and Jelly, and a sleeping bag, and a loaf of bread, and some water, and a toothbrush, and some tuna, and some socks, and, and, a 357 magnum!

Then we talk about Michigan, he says 'whatever you do, avoid Detroit. It's all black.'
I knew what he meant, but felt like saying 'you mean they have a smog problem, or it's a lot of pavement, or a lot of the buildings are painted black, like the Rolling Stones?' -- but instead I just nod and say ok.
Honestly, he must've reiterated this point at least 5 times. 'It's all black' he kept saying and pointing on the map.
I am apparently supposed to share the same prejudices as him, I guess, and understand what he's implying by saying 'it's all black'. 'Flint, Lansing, Detroit--they're all black.'
Ok dude, I get it!
Finally, I just say 'I promise, I will avoid Detroit.'

Anyway, I'm now in Rhinelander, Wisconsin. I camped on the front lawn of the courthouse last night. It was a beautiful and spacious lawn, complete with a hedgerow to hide behind and an acorn tree to lean my bike against. Obviously, you're probably not supposed to camp there, I always try and make myself as inconspicuous as possible.
Wellll, this morning the local gean-darme policecop made a guest appearance.
He said 'so, doing a little camping here?' - yes, detective. Yessir, I am. I am camping up a storm.
Your robe, your honor!
He asked for some ID, reminding me that camping on the front lawn of the courthouse is not permitted.
'Yes, I know sir, it was late and I couldn't find a campground and this seemed to be my only option.'
He was trying to remain serious, but couldn't help asking all the usual questions. Where ya headed, from where? Really?
Then he 'ran a check' on me, looking for outstanding warrants I assume? I'm an outlaw! Andy the Kidd.
Finally, he said good luck and left. Gooooood morning Rhinelander!

So I'm off to Shawano today. About 100 miles. That'll put me within 40 miles of Green Bay. I talked to a college friend who lives just south of Green Bay, and he happens to have an extra ticket for Saturday's game. Perfect! So I'll spend Friday and Saturday in Green Bay, go to the Packers-Seahawks game Saturday night, and loop up into Door County on Sunday.

That's the plan Stan. You don't need to be coy Roy. Hop on the bus Gus - don't need to discuss muuuch! Just drop off the key Lee - and get yourself free.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Black or white, Detroit is a rough city, and not much to look at either. Unless you are planning on crossing into Canada at Windsor it may not be bad advice to avoid it.

It's about time you got hassled by the Law! You were getting off too easy camping wherever you please. Next time you should use the line from "This Land Is Your Land" about how the other side of the No Trespassing Sign "didn't say nothing" That side was made for you and me, Officer.

Anonymous said...

Hey Andy - JF will be envious to learn you are headed to the Packers game!

LORIE said...

I should have knocked on wood after my last comment. . .sorry. Go Seahawks!!! Is tha PC?

Anonymous said...

Hey, Andy! Drop on down the coast after you tour Door County. Take almost anything labeled "Lake Shore Drive" - it's a great tour. Destination Milwaukee - I suggest you try the High Speed Ferry across the lake - it's a, uh, trip. I talked a transcontinental trio of guys into stopping here (showers, food, laundry, a bed indoors) last Summer, we had a ball that evening, and took in Kopp's famous custard stand and cow(s) sculpture. All the best in your travels (I know a guy in Grand Rapids too - Muskegon to GR to Lansing is a route *I* rode last year at the other end of the ferry. Just a thought. Find me via the web page listed....

Anonymous said...

apparently it doesn't link, even though it asks for a web page. here it is - www.recycledrecumbent.com

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

If you need / want advice for makeing your way across south eastern Michigan, drop me a noteat bluepeloton@comcast.net - I have lived here my whole life, spent many quality hours riding the local roads. Pretty much everything from the quick local rides to riding 'round Lake Huron, and several trips to and through Niagara Falls.......... Hope every day presents just enough challenge to tickle your sense of adventure, and at least enough reward to keep you rolling along!