7.27.2007

Happy B-day to me

Thanks y'all for the happy b-day wishes. My dad wished me a happy birthday and better weather wishes, and I received them in the form of the first wind at my back in a looong time. I rode the wind amongst 105 degree temps, 115 degree heat indexes, and 130 degrees on the pavement (according to a state fair official in Minot, ND - where I had spent the previous night). I rode with a hop in my step, a pep in my pedal, because it was my b-day, because the wind was at my back, and because in the back of my mind I knew there was air conditioning waiting at the hotel. And even farther back in my mind I imagined there may also be an ice cold celebratory happy birthday beer waiting as well. It was my quickest ride yet, I averaged almost 17 mph. Fast! For a bike. Otherwise decidedly lentement.
I spent that night in Rugby, ND at an Econolodge. My mom insisted she get a hotel room for me as a present and who was I to blow against the wind? Thanks mom!
It was great actually, to have a shower, and more importantly, air conditioning! I had the room so cold I was shivering. It was such a welcomed change to be cold. I was huddled under blankets, my teeth were gladly chattering in the coldness. Had the best pizza I've had in awhile at Bob's Pizza Inn and Restaurant, as lazy country music played in the background.
Swam the next morning in a surpringly nice pool, and soaked in the whirlpool too. And on my way I went. Happy birthday to me, 29 now, yikes. At least I'm a prime number now... right Jill??!! Turtle will one day see the magic of circles. The endless magic of math and secrets of circles. 3.1415926535zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

The previous night, in Minot, ND, I called Alex the Russian guy because I knew they had stayed at a warm showers place. Warmshowers.org is a website where you can apparently find people who will let you stay at their house for free. I still haven't visited the website, I let Alex do the research and then I just show up, or get the phone number. Alex and the gang are still a day ahead of me, so they had stayed at this place the night before.
Anyway, it was hotter than blazes out as usual, I was considering another hotel (because sleeping when the low is 74 is tough) but most hotels were booked because the state fair was happening. So I call this guy up, Mike, apparently it's an older couple in their 60's.
I called him at 6pm and by 7:30pm I was at a Perkins eating steak (I know, steak at Perkins?? Questionable. But it sounded good.) and mashed potatoes and broccoli. Not bad, right?? Then the daughter had half a chicken finger sandwich that she wasn't going to finish, so I ate that too. And the dad couldn't finish his seafood platter, so I had a nice fillet of fish, and a few dinner rolls. I felt like Nick! Just kidding Nick.

This Mike guy was super cool. I offered him money for dinner, but he declined. And then told me of his bike voyage with friends a looong time ago, in the early 1970s, when a kind Indian man gave them advice (told them not to stay in the city park, because it was Friday night and the local teenagers get a little rowdy - it's that blasted brown water again!) and took them into his home, fed them, etc. Mike had been so thankful for this man's simple kindness, even though it was 40 years ago, that to this day he was affected by it. He simply told me to 'pay it forward'. Amazing how something so simple can affect someone so indeliably.

In the morning they made waffles with whipped cream and fresh fruit and coffee and orange juice and you name it. Amazing breakfast! I asked them if there was a barber shop in town, they said there was. Then Mike mentioned that he had clippers if I wanted to cut my own hair. I asked Heather (their pretty cool daughter) if she would want to give it a try. I told her I wanted a mohawk. She reluctantly agreed, she was nervous. We went out to the garage and Project Mohawk began! It turned into more of a regular haircut, super short, but it feels much better with the heat. My hair was getting pretty long. Now it's very very short, but I still have a beard. I look kinda like a demented Amish person! Ehhh nice.

1 comment:

bill said...

Its a sin to leave food on your plate. That’s why god made ME :)

And to over order when getting "Asian" take-out with friends. Ohhh We need egg rolls, salad, fries, chicken satay, extra rice, crab puffs, various dumplings, and something vegetarian for Molly, Don't for get the egg drop soup and fried Wan Tons...)